Wednesday, January 16, 2008

The Unicorn - The Peter Pan Pop Singers and Orchestra


This one’s a bit odd. (I know that’s a shock coming from me!) It was made in the U.S., but I don’t think it was made FOR the U.S. I mean, it’s got a number of hits from around 1968-69, but then it has stuff like “Waltzing Matilda” and “Molly Malone”. Were these songs all popular around the same time somewhere? Another fun thing is that the Peter Pan Pop Singers tend to sing all the songs in a sort of pop/march tempo. It’s works OK for some of the songs, but on others (like "The Mighty Quinn") it sounds a bit off.

Finally, I’d like to point out the very nice cover on this album. It’s not signed, but I know that George Peed did a number of Peter Pan’s album covers. I think it might be him, but I don’t know for sure. Anyway, I hope you enjoy this one!

Here’s the track list:

1. The Unicorn

2. Half a Sixpence

3. Molly Malone

4. 76 Trombones

5. Up Up and Away

6. Simon Says

7. Waltzing Matilda

8. Green Tambourine

9. The Mighty Quinn

10. Tip Toe Thru the Tulips

Click here or here to download!

8 comments:

Threadhunter said...

I have a 7" with the same album art, also Peter Pan, also called "The Unicorn" with completely different songs, ones that i had never heard before i picked up the record such as, Tippy The Tiger and Leonard The Leopard. I would put this album in with the top 10 7" s that I own.

-leah

Tony said...

Leah,

The album of "How Much Is That Doggie in the Window here

http://wayoutjunk.blogspot.com/2007/10/how-much-is-that-doggie-in-window.html

has both of those songs on it.

Tony
Way Out Junk

BILLONEY! said...

Well, THERE is a haunting cover! I guess noah's ark is leaving the unicorn there to die by drowning in the flood.

Super Audio CD Man said...

Hello to master of delusion: If you could have that Unicorn record posted with the cover art, I would really appreciate it. My younger brother had this as a kid and we wailed with laughter. Follow-up comments will go to my email address.
Thanks, Shawn

Anonymous said...

thank you thank you thank you!
My niece and I were talking about this album today and both broke out singing the chorus (green alligators and long necked geese...) I have the original on vinyl but no way to play. Your links are excellent and I've burned a copy for her to play for *her* daughter. Sickly sweet as it is, there must be something to it if we remember the lyrics 40 years later! Thanks for letting us pass it on to the future, whether they like it or not.

Unknown said...

I remember watching a show called "Woodrow the Woodsman" on weekday mornings. The song was sung by a leprecon. I think he was doing the Irish Rovers version. I do have the 45 version of The Unicorn, no record,though. It is in almost mint condition.
Lynn

Anonymous said...

Leah, any chance you would be willing to burn a copy of that album? I had it as a kid.

Randy - Houston, TX

Anonymous said...

I listened to this all the time growing up! It was one of my favorites!