Friday, September 15, 2006

The Sesame Street Monsters!


O.K., here's a couple of things I need to tell you guys. First, I won't have enough scary stuff to last through to Halloween, especially starting this early, so I'm going to be sprinkling Halloweeny junk amongst the other kinds of albums I put on here. Second, as you can see from this offering (and could surmise from the other stuff I tend to put on here), even my scary stuff won't be THAT scary!

Now on to today's offering. Sesame Street is known for its wide variety of monsters, and we have a pretty fair offering of them here, with the majority being carried off by Grover, Cookie Monster, and Herry Monster. And for you old-schoolers like me, you'll be glad to know: No Elmo!!

Here's a couple of trivia tidbits for you regarding this album. The orangy-reddish monster on the cover with his tongue sticking out is Frazzle. He just makes odd growling and snarling noises, but he still gets his own song here (along with his back-up group, the Frazzletones). Also the song "I Want a Monster to Be My Friend" ended up being a bit controversial. Parents were apparently uncomfortable with the stanza:

If I make friends with a friendly monster
I'd let him bounce me on his knee.
I'd let him do whatever he wants to
Especially if he's bigger than me.

I guess they thought it was saying it was OK for people bigger than you to do whatever they want to you. Regardless, the skit with this song hasn't been played in years, and the song (if I'm not mistaken) has not been used in any other compilations. Sounds kind of goofy to me, especially in the context of the song.

Anyhoo, here it is. Hope you like it!

Here's the track list:
  1. The Lovable Monsters of Sesame Street
  2. I, Grover
  3. Five Monsters in My Family
  4. I Can't Help It
  5. I Want a Monster to Be My Friend
  6. Frazzle
  7. The End of Side 1
  8. We'll Do It Together
  9. Fur
  10. Cookie's Rhyming Song
  11. Monster Lullaby
  12. Games Monsters Play
  13. Be Kind to Your Neighborhood Monsters
Click here or here to download!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this and the Roosevelt Franklin album.I love the old Sesame Street stuff and would love to see more.When I was about 6 or so, my grandmother bought me a Sesame Street tin 45 carrying case and it was full of 45's featuring Sesame Street songs.For some reason, I left the box in my mother's car one day and she went to work, where the extreme temperatures melted the little vinyl gems like wax lips.So thanks for helping me to relive some of the nostalgia 30 odd years later.
PS. Me and a friend were talking and I seem to remember Roosevelt Franklin having a theme song (which also mentioned his school).Its not on the album so do you know if it exists anywhere?
Thanks and keep up the good work.
Keith

samgigi said...

love your site. Always looking for classic sesame street. keep up the good wirk

GoFSU said...

Those parents are messed up. They should worry about Obama and not pretend monsters. His threat is all too real.