Sunday, December 17, 2006

The Way Out Junk-mas Contest is OVAH!!! (Updated with some album links!)

The Contest is finished, and I'd like to thank our seven entrants for participating. We actually had a three-way tie (of seven correct answers) for First Place. While I originally said that there'd be a drawing in case of a tie, I decided to just award the prize to all three winners. So congratulations to our winners, Steve, Rob, and Tom! I'll get your addresses and get the prizes sent out to you as soon as possible. And our other four participants will be receiving consolation prizes as well. This one ran really close, with everybody ending up with 5-7 answers correct. So, without further ado, here are the answers and a bit of info about them:


Intro: Alan Sherman (from his song "The Twelve Gifts of Christmas"). Just about everybody got this one right.

12 Drummers Drumming: Pebbles and Bamm-Bamm (from the 1965 album "Pebbles and Bamm-Bamm Singing Songs of Christmas"). This was one of the albums I got in that big haul a few months ago. Despite the fact that my HB links have been taken down, I'm going to try to make this available soon (I now have, and the link to it is here.)

11 Pipers Peeping: The Chipmunks (from the album "Christmas with the Chipmunks Vol. 2"). On most of these I tried to take the piece from the twelfth verse, but this one was an exception. This was from the 11th verse breakdown, where they just kept messing up until Dave got them back into it. I was hoping this would help differentiate it from the other high-pitched choices.)

10 Thousand Yards: The Dallas Cowboys, specifically Tony Dorsett (from the 1985 album "A Dallas Cowboys Christmas"). Dorsett had just recently achieved a record 10,000 rushing yards (only the fifth NFL player at the time to have done so). I knew this would be a tough one. I'm going to try to share this one as well, because there's nothing more inspiring than hearing football players singing! ;-D

9 Ladies Dancing: Woody the Woodchuck (from the album "Christmas with Woody the Woodchuck"). Steve was the only one who guessed this one correctly. This album is available here at A Christmas Yuleblog.

8 Reindeer Flying: The Care Bears (from the CD "Holiday Hugs"). I just bought this one a month or two ago, so I thought one of you guys would have gotten it. No one did though.

7 Dogs A-Logging: Ren and Stimpy (The song "The Twelve Days of Yaksmas" from the 1993 album "Crock O' Christmas"). This one's out of print, but it's available here at "Ape Shall Never Kill Ape".

6 Cans of Hairspray: Twisted Sister (from the album "Twisted Christmas"). I actually thought this would be one of the harder ones since this CD just came out recently, but everybody got it right.

5 Gold Rings (Ba-dum-bum-bum!): Miss Piggy and the Muppets (from "John Denver and the Muppets: A Christmas Together"). I knew you'd all get that one, but I felt like it had to be included!

4 Thousand Volts: The Cryptkeeper (The song "The Twelve Days of Cryptmas" from the 1994 album "Have Yourself a Scary Little Christmas"). This is one of my favorite warped Christmas albums. It's out of print so, if it's not being offered anywhere else, I'm gonna have it here. And here it is!

3 Candles I Should Light: The Smurfs (from the 1983 album "Merry Christmas from the Smurfs").

2 Turtle Doves: Tennessee Ernie Ford (That wonderfully deep voice is from his 1965 album "Sing We Now of Christmas")

And a Beer in a Treeeee: Bob and Doug McKenzie Another one that just HAD to be there!

I hope you all enjoyed the Contest, whether you entered or not. If I find out that some of these out of print albums are available, I'll put links to them. I'll also try to get some more music on here in the next day or two. Merry Christmas, Everybody!!

Tony
Way Out Junk

1 comment:

SonicBlu said...

Ren & Stimpy! How could I have let that one slip? I used to own the album when it first came out. Played the heck out of it, too. I'm surprised it didn't jog my memory!

Being the smurf fan that I was, I'm also surprised I didn't get the 3 Candles I Should Light. Never owned the Christmas album though, so I guess that makes it understandable...but still!

Great contest, Tony! Had a bit of fun trying to guess each one. :)