Monday, December 15, 2008

The Cowboys Sing Holiday Halftime


I hope somebody can give me more information on this album. The title, as you can see, is called "The Cowboys Sing Holiday Halftime". That's because it features the Dallas Cowboys football team singing Christmas songs. As I did more research, I found that there are other Christmas albums available with other football teams singing Christmas songs. The covers look exactly the same except for the change in title. What I'm wondering is, did they actually get each team to sing, record, and release their own album, or did they just get a huge group of football players to record one album and release it with the different names? Another interesting thing is that in the song "Let It Snow" there's a solo by Lance Rentzel, who I believe played for the Cowboys when this album was released. If these songs were all done with one big group of guys, did they pick a member of each team to sing the solo in that song and put it on the appropriate team's album? Anyway, I hope you enjoy this, no matter what team you like!

Here's the track list:
  1. Deck the Halls
  2. All I Want for Christmas Is My Two Front Teeth
  3. Winter Wonderland
  4. We Wish You a Merry Christmas
  5. A Tropical Winter
  6. Frosty the Snowman
  7. Let It Snow
  8. Jingle Bells
  9. Auld Lang Syne
Click here or here to download!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi. visiting your blog....Hope I would see you in my blog......

tjmertz said...

I have basically the same thing (covers, songs), except it is the Green Bay Packers.

I'm not sure if the recordings are the same and can't bring myself to listen to them side by side.

Anonymous said...

The Cowboys & the Packers versions share the identical instrumental backing tracks but the vocals are very diferent. The Packers version was a Christmas music staple & tradition in my household when I was a little boy growing up in Wisconsin during the Vince Lombardi Packers era.

I still covet & play my copy of this LP each Christmas when my kids decorate our Christmas tree.

I must say that the Cowboys vocals are much better than the Packers singing that I grew up listening to, however, just thinking of Ray Nitchke, Jerry Kramer, Bart Starr & Max Magee getting together and giving these holiday chestnuts a shot certainly held it's own charm. It just sounds like the Packers may have had a little julenog to wet their whistles at their recording session.

Anonymous said...

This IS the real thing. I was one of the producers of these albums and can assure you we went to each teams training camps and recorded them either at the camp,in a studio or in some cases hotel conference rooms. It was all done thru the NFLPA-NFL PLAYERS ASSOCIATION( the union) and was supposed to put a lot of money in their pension fund and our pockets but I'm sorry to say didn't end up that way. Just couldn't get them distributed as necessary and most people never saw them even though we were on Tv on The Brinkley news on NBC, The Ed Sullivan show,Whats my Line, To Tell The Truth and radio stations in most locations. I keep saying I'm going to write a little peice about the project but never get around to it. Maybe I could sell that instead of the records. I'm listed as Associate Producer on the back of each album and the best teams at the time did the best job,Packers especially.
Enjoy them, they are the teams back in 1970!!!! Nichhi@aol.com

Timmy said...

As Dandy Don would sing........ Turn Out the Lights...

Professor Longnose said...

I've got the NY Jets and NY Giants versions, which I picked up in a thrift store years ago. I realized it was the same backing tracks with different vocals. And they had to play the backing tracks pretty slowly to get everyone to follow along.

And Nichhi@aol.com, if you ever wrote that article, let me know where to get it.